He has been a long time member of the National Citizens Coalition, and Alliance Party of Canada (formerly Reform Party and now Conservative Party of Canada).
He was also a member of the horrendous Mike Harris government; that turned Ontario inside out, with privatization schemes, scandals and incompetence.
In 2006, Clement took the riding by just 28 votes, but in 2008, ended up with double those of his nearest (Liberal) competitor, garnering 50.16% of the ballots cast. But he also spent more than all the other candidates combined. Money talks.
Another factor of course, was the low voter turnout last election. This riding has approximately 68,577 (as per 2006) eligible voters but only 43,524 showed up, an almost 3,000 voter drop from the last election.
So it won't be enough to just work on exposing Clement's corruption to those politically engaged, even if it's just at election time; but we'll have to encourage more people to come out. We can do that not just with anger, but by presenting a positive message.
Neoconservatism relies on convincing people to go with the devil they know or not bother at all. We need to change that.
So here's how we will win this riding back. Since strategically the Liberals are the best option to take out Clement, I'm throwing my efforts into promoting them. Their new candidate is Shawn Pudsey, and the Liberal Riding Association in the area, have a great website set up, that appears to be very current. You can check them out here. Their president is Tim Dunn and you can contact him here: email@example.com or contact Shawn here: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you live in this riding, here's what you can do:
1. Join the Liberal Party. It's only about $10.00 and is a great way to show your support. They will keep you up to date with what's happening in the community and on the federal scene.
2. If you are able to find a bit of time, volunteer; perhaps with canvassing or some other promotions.
3. If you can afford it at all, donate a bit now and then. I'm set up to contribute a regular monthly donation, but it's whatever you feel comfortable with. Remember that the Conservatives have a lot of wealthy backers and it takes money to launch a campaign.
4. Join Catch 22 Harper Conservatives to learn more tips, and encourage others to join. They also have a website that is currently under construction.
5. Join Canadians Against Proroguing Parliament. There are more than 30,000 links, and a real time feed to stories with reasons to vote the Reform-Conservatives out. The better informed you are the more motivated you will be.
WHY WE NEED TO GET TONY CLEMENT OUT!
Visit this page. It will link you to all of my archived pieces on him, including those that just mention his name.
1. He made disparaging remarks to the region when he referred to is as "the Valley of Death", and then refused to apologize, only suggesting that he shouldn't have used the term.
2. He refused to intervene in Sudbury's mining job losses, prompting the United Steelworkers to call for his resignation.
3. His entire handling of the sell out to Vale and refusing to help out with the labour dispute.
3. He Travelled to the United States in July 2009, with Peter Van Loan and Lawrence Cannon, to protect the 'proportionality' clause in the NAFTA agreement. This clause ties Canada's hands when it comes to marketing our natural resources.
4. He avoided having to deal with the Listeriosis outbreak, leaving it to the agricultural minister, who made a joke of the whole thing.
5. He Showed loyalty to the National Citizens Coalition who helped to launch his career, instead of protecting good union jobs in the area.
6. Pork Barreling for votes.
7. Took part in a questionable deal with a former business partner.
8. While Parliament was prorogued, he and his party went on a mission of destruction.
9. He has displayed an arrogant attitude when dealing with members of Canadians Against Proroguing Parliament.
10. He has been working to close down a facility designed to help addicts in Vancouver.
We are taking this country back one vote at a time, and you can do the same.
And remember, if Mr. Clement wants to use the tired old 'prorogation is routine, he's right. However, historically abuse of prorogation in the Westminster Parliamentary system has only been done three times. All three in Canada. Once by Sir John A. to avoid answering questions on the Pacific Railway Scandal, and twice by Stephen Harper.
IS THIS REALLY YOUR CANADA? IS TONY CLEMENT REALLY THE BEST CHOICE FOR PARRY SOUND-MUSKOKA?