Wednesday, April 27, 2011

An Uplifting Story. What Religion Used to be About


I love Rev. Jim Wallis. I'm not religious at all, but respect thinkers. And Wallis is a profound thinker.

A progressive Evangelist who inspires instead of judges.

Wallis fasted throughout Lent to oppose a budget that attacked the poor.
On Easter weekend, I will break my fast. I will have spent almost four weeks drinking only liquids. But, as is often true of fasts, what has been gained is far greater than anything given up. More than 36,000 people and 28 members of Congress joined the fast in their own ways. Millions of people heard the message that a budget is a moral document. Politicians have begun to feel the pressure of those in the faith community who believe that we should not balance the budget at the expense and pain of poor people.
I remember when religious leaders used to care about things like that.

Now it's all about attacks on gays and women. The end of an era.

2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful, Emily. I like the way this man thinks.
    -- K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  2. That will make him persona non grata with the Rethugs.

    ReplyDelete