Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Why I Prefer a Communist to Lawrence Cannon


One of the major upsets of this election was Lawrence Cannon losing his seat to a newcomer, who entered the race late and swept the riding.

Initially, the media focused on the fact that Mathieu Ravignat was a Communist, who had wept when his party lost official party status.

But before anyone yelps in protest, the Canadian Communist Party is not what they may envision. I'm sure somewhere in their framework, they might see Canada as a Communist country, but the reality is, that's about as likely as the Reform Party .... oops.

Just kidding.

I read Communist party press releases all the time, and one fact is indisputable. People always come first. They advocate for women's rights, aboriginal rights, the rights of workers, seniors, the disabled. And they are strong in their convictions.

The NDP started out like that under J.S. Woodsworth and Tommy Douglas, but they have since lost their way. They are now purely political. And many predict that Jack Layton will now have to move his party even further away from social values to compete with the Harper Conservatives.

The end of an era.

But what I expect and hope of Mr. Ravignat, is that he remains true to his beliefs, and even if he is the lone dissenting vote, will be on record as putting people over partisanship.

And he is no political lightweight.
Ravignat campaigned on a strong social justice platform, saying workers and their pensions need protection as the forestry industry collapses in this vast rural riding. He is a former communist, holds a master's degree in political science, works as a federal government research officer and is a member of the Royal Heraldry Society of Canada.
I think I'm going to like him very much.

A refreshing change from Lawrence Cannon, who colour coded people and decided who is a Canadian citizen and who isn't.

Following is a video I found of this new MP on YouTube. Maybe that's how he and John Baird should handle a debate.

2 comments:

  1. I like that, Emily: "People always come first. They advocate for women's rights, aboriginal rights, the rights of workers, seniors, the disabled. And they are strong in their convictions." An NDP Member of Parliament with old-fashioned NDP beliefs. I like that a lot.
    That's how politicians should be.
    I'm glad he beat Lawrence Cannon by a definitive 16% so there can be no doubt.
    As a disabled former working woman about to become a senior this year, I just might need representation. I'm not aboriginal, but I'm a third-generation Canadian with family members and friends who are aboriginal. Maybe I will move to southwestern Quebec, although I doubt if I'll take up sword-fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somewhere along the way the things we want and need have been lost.

    ReplyDelete