Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Harper's Low Tax Plan Was a Drive By


When my kids were small and they'd ask for something I knew we couldn't afford, I'd often respond with "maybe someday when I'm rich and famous".

This bought me some time.

It all fell apart though when my youngest son, after hearing the familiar reply, ran to his older brother in excitement, only to be told, "don't you know by now that mom is never going to rich and famous?"

Mike Moffat of the Richard Ivey School of Business, has a piece in the Globe and Mail this morning: Mr. Harper, if you can’t pay for it now, you can’t later

He is referring of course, to the so-called 'Low Tax Plan' outlined in the Conservative platform, that will only be implemented when the books are balanced, roughly five years from now.

But in the words of my eldest "Don't you know by now .... ?

It's very easy to make promises that you will probably never have to act on.

Yet despite promising Canadians that he may in some distant time, lower their taxes, he is still going through with plans to lower the taxes of the wealthiest citizens immediately. Corporate tax cuts he describes as "job creators".

That made no sense when George Bush used the term, and makes no sense now.

On May 2 vote and vote wisely. We deserve better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment