Thursday, November 25, 2010

Democracy For Sale and My Epiphany

I was quietly reading today when I experienced an epiphany. It may have just been indigestion, but I started hauling out books and making a huge mess, and I think there may be something I've overlooked.

Instead of viewing this country's neoconservatism through Straussians who have bastardized Leo Strauss, I went back to the concept that everyone seems to agree on, when discussing the man.

Language, and how if used properly, can mean different things to different people.

I'm calling it the "art of ambiguity".

Going back and looking at it through that lens, it all comes into focus.

This entire movement is a crock.

It is not a religious movement or a moral movement. It is a corporate movement.

And claiming to want to appoint judges who will overturn abortion laws, and same-sex marriage laws, only hides the real reason for stacking the judiciary. They want to remove all obstacles to corporate control of government.

This point was brought up during a discussion with a group of politically engaged individuals, and got me to googling until I'm seeing triple. But I didn't tie it all together until my epiphany.

Talking out loud, or typing out loud, I started posting on my theory, laying it out to see if it makes sense.

If you go back to a story in the U.S., where the Supreme Court redefined corporations as citizens, and ruled that corporate campaign spending limits violate the First Amendment, it makes sense.

As some wonder what the impact will be, one progressive PR firm, Murray Hill, actually ran a satirical political campaign, as the first corporate candidate for Congress. (video below) It might not be as far fetched as it sounds. Give it time.

I'm going to provide further evidence to support my theory, so be patient.

But for now I must take a nap.

Epiphanies are very tiring.

Continuation:

The Success of Neoconservatism is Based on Emotionally Fuelled Ambiguity

The Art of Ambiguity and Preston Manning's Bait and Switch

The Use of Language to Manipulate for the Better Good

Common Sense and Hookers. How Mike Harris Stole my Vote


3 comments:

  1. You're probably right, Emily. Giving corporations the same rights as citizens was probably an enormous mistake. Giving citizens the same rights as corporations, however, might be nice. Government bail-outs, for instance. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Emily! Thanks so much for your incite full blogging

    "Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was shocked when I first learned that Corporate Lawyers had won the right for corporations to have the same rights as people. But then again since the IMF/World Bank is based in the Washington, DC . . . What a friggin mess all of this has become. I hate those that are pulling the puppet strings. (Cindy here)

    ReplyDelete